BJJ Coach - Youth & Fundamentals
Prior to starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Carl played Rugby League for 13 years playing representative league for Waikato.
Starting BJJ in 2009 with a Gracie Barra affiliate club, Carl proceeded to compete a few times as a white belt before received his BJJ Blue Belt in 2011 under Professor Pina Simpson (Southern Tribes Jiu jitsu, Taranaki). After a couple of injuries and some knee surgeries later, Carl made his way back onto the mats and received his Purple Belt under Pina Simpson & Steve Oliver (Southern Tribes, ATTNZ). Carl joined the CORE MMA coaching team in early 2017. He absolutely loves teaching Beginners and Kids classes and has been a kids instructor for over 4 1/2 years.
Carl was awarded his BJJ Brownbelt in 2018.
Some of his career highlights include:
- 2016 Gi nationals (Gold) Purple belt
- 2015 Gi nationals (bronze) Purple belt
- Having been to jiu jitsu camps with:
- Henry Akins (Rickson Gracie Black Belt)
- Bruno Alves (Multiple time BJJ World Champion)
- Joao (Johnny) Faria (Alliance Sandiego, Head coach - Black Belt under Royler Gracie)
- Dave Camarillo (Guerrilla Jiu jitsu founder)