Getting into MMA - Beginners Guide
Getting into Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) can be a daunting process - we know because we've experienced it too!
But there's no need to be (too) nervous! At CORE MMA we have beginners starting almost daily, and we've done our best to make the joining process as friendly and simple as possible.
This Reference Guide will address some of the common starting questions, but if at the end you're still unsure about how to start then feel free to get in touch.
I've never done any martial arts before - is this for me?
Yes! But seriously... there's only one way to really find out whether you'd like to train in the martial arts - and that's by giving it a go. We have a safe and structured beginners programme, with a great facility and some of the best instructors in the region available to help and support you.
Which martial art(s) or classes are for me?
We offer a quite a wide spread of martial arts & fitness classes at CORE MMA, and it can be a little confusing figuring out how to choose. You can read a brief description about the different sessions over on the 'Classes' page on the website, but here's a couple of suggestions:
- If you're looking for traditional martial arts: check out our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing classes for Adults, or our Youth / Female-specific MMA sessions.
- If you're looking to build up fitness or lose weight: our MMA-Fit sessions, combined with funamental Kickboxing, MMA or BJJ will be perfect.
- If you'd like to get into competitive MMA or BJJ: check out the Wrestling class, along with BJJ (Nogi) and Kickboxing + General MMA (for MMA competition) or BJJ Gi (for Jiu Jitsu competition).
And here's a few more tips for selecting classes:
- Try some! The best way to get a feel for each of the different class types is to give them a go - if you feel more inclined to go back for a certain type of training, then that's probably a good starting place.
- Check out the regular Adults classes as well as the 'Fundamentals' sessions. These class types can have a different pace and you might like one more than the other (but even better if you enjoy both!).
- Ask a mate, or have a quick watch of the different martial arts on Youtube. Although it's not a first-hand training experience, it will help you build up an idea about what you're getting into.
- What times suit your schedule? We all have busy lives outside the gym, so it's important that you don't put off getting started because it's a hassle to rearrange or rush to class. Just because your ideal session times don't quite line up, there's a good chance they will in the near future.
- Your choices aren't set in stone, and once their settled in most of our members end up branching out to try out different class types.
I've decided which classes I want to check out - what do I need to do / what do I need to bring?
We offer a free week trial of the classes so that you can come down and get a taste for the environment before signing up. All you need to do is decide which martial arts & fitness classes you'd like to check out, and then head down the gym 10min before they are due to start. The class coaches will give you a quick introduction to the gym, our culture and etiquette and will then get you started with the class.
The class details page on the website will list any requirements (like gear, or experience level) that the session has, so you can be fully prepared. The essentials for all classes include a towel, drink-bottle and mouthguard. Just wear some comfortable, older workout clothes (they might get stretched) and make sure that all jewellery / piercings are taken out or covered with strapping tape.
I've been in to check out some classes and now would like to join - what's next?
It's pretty simple - all you need to do is head on over to our Membership section, and select the relevant option. The membership details (including the weekly rates and conditions) are open & honest, and all available for you to check out when you get a moment. The membership plan links will redirect you to an online signup form with our billing provider DebitSuccess, where you can enter your contact and payment details electronically. That's all you need to do - we'll receive an email notification and you're ready to start training. Welcome to CORE MMA!